Dryad is recruiting for a full-time Data Curator to help drive and maintain the highest standards for research data curation quality and data publication. Our future Data Curator will carefully evaluate submitted research metadata and data files, and assist with identifying workflow and process improvements, offering guidance to authors, supporting team members, and participate in the onboarding and training of new curators.
To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will possess understanding of the scientific research publication cycle and/or related research experience and have the following experience:
- Experience working with data in either a research or curation capacity (quantitative and qualitative)
- Proficient in accessing various file types used for research management and analysis, adept in identifying and accessing both open source and proprietary software (such as TextEditor, QGIS, Octave, ImageJ, RStudio)
- Effective time-management and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Intermediate-level knowledge with all Microsoft Office programs and Google Drive
- Familiarity with computer quick keys, shortcuts, and swift navigation skills; familiarity with Windows OS
- Curate and publish research data: evaluate metadata to ensure compliance with Dryad’s guidelines for publication and best practices for open data
- Review data submissions entirely, and at a high-level, to ensure submission is appropriate for publication in Dryad (e.g., no ethical or legal issues)
- Correspond with authors and provide guidance to make data openly available, accessible, and ready for reuse
- Maintain high standards for curation service delivery, including responsiveness, speed, quality and integrity
- Maintain relationships with authors, users, and editorial offices, ensuring clear, accurate and consistent communication about ongoing curation and publication protocols as well as Dryad policies and service
- Assist with creating and maintaining Dryad documentation
- Participate in team recruitment and training efforts
- Identify opportunities for process optimization and assist with implementation
- Enthusiastic about Dryad’s mission and open science
- Strong and consistent work ethic: dependable, productive, proactive, detail oriented, customer service minded
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
- Amenable to working in and fostering a positive, friendly, supportive, collaborative and communicative team environment
- Proactive in troubleshooting issues and searching for answers, open to asking questions, when in doubt
- Motivated and committed to continuous improvement; identifies and communicates specific training needed and/or development opportunities for growth; seeks answers and requests guidance
- Open to receiving feedback, comfortable delivering feedback
- Has confidence in making judgment calls based on information available and in keeping with established policies
- Demonstrates professionalism and decorum, practiced in politely yet firmly communicating “no”, when necessary
Helpful but Not Required
- Familiarity with citation styles and formats, DOIs and other identifiers, indexing services and databases, and citation management software
- Exposure to metadata standards (XML, etc.)
- Experience in data file management, data analysis
Compensation and Benefits
This is a fully remote, full-time hourly position based in the United States. We offer benefits and competitive compensation of $23-$25/hour, based on experience.
US candidates must be based in any of the following states: California, Florida, Indiana, North Carolina, Nebraska, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Dryad is dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all people, regardless of background or identity. We are an equal opportunity employer and give consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, disability or protected veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by US federal, state, or local law. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
To apply to work with Dryad
Please submit a resume or CV and cover letter expressing why the Data Curator role at Dryad would be a good fit for you – to jobs[at]datadryad.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Informal inquiries are very welcome, to our Head of Publishing Services, Jess Herzog via jherzog[at]datadryad.org. The position is open now and applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the role is filled. Informal inquiries are very welcome.